Thursday, June 17, 2010

I lived with my grandparents since young at a block opposite my home now. Life was just the three of us, plus my aunt who wasn’t married then. My grandfather would cook; it was his responsibility since he was a cook on a ship. My grandmother would do some sewing and stitching, or actually more of the manual work – washing and bringing out the rice to sun (didn’t know for what). My grandfather would bring me home from school after I went to primary school, and before that it was my grandmother who did that. I recall once where she shouted and ran after this school bus where a student actually fell out of the back of the vehicle.

My grandfather was the source of my increased pocket money and other indulgences such as tidbits. Until now I don’t understand how he could find me in primary 2, where I skipped abacus class, an after school activity, and I was in my friend’s house.

Only until few days back that I found out my grandparents were a loving couple. All along while living with them they were fighting over ten cents (in hainanese) and my grandfather (who was the cool one) could not be bothered as my loud grandmother shouted at him. Although, there was once he scolded her back and that was scary.

At his wake, it was when I heard his stories, about how he brought my dad and aunts to movies, how he shared fish with the neighbours, how he made money cooking on a ship and even set up a mini gambling table. Apart from the stories, I thought about death, about life, about how death is the destination. I thought about whether I will forget my grandfather. My grandmother passed away in 2007, took me so long to get over it. Yet now, the memories of her seem to be fading, will I forget my days with my grandfather?

Seeing my grandparents “staying” side by side now, reminds me of the days in the old apartment. I told someone once that i love my grandparents the most, and i think it still stands true. I hope they are happy (I know they are happy) wherever they are. And like what someone said, it should be a celebration instead of mourning, because he lived a long fulfilling life.

No comments: